Most every person in this country knows the importance of installing and keeping their fire alarms properly maintained. What many people do not yet know is just how important it is to install and maintain carbon monoxide detectors in their homes as well. Every year in our country approximately two hundred people die from carbon monoxide poisoning. These tragedies can be easily avoided by purchasing a carbon monoxide detector at your local hardware store. Ways to avoid Carbon Monoxide poisoning in your home:
  • Purchase a carbon monoxide detector to place within 15 feet of every sleeping area in your home.
  • Change the batteries yearly, when you change your fire alarm batteries.
  • Have your furnace and fireplace checked regularly by a professional.
  • Use your generators properly.
  • Avoid “warming up” your car if the garage is attached to your home.
Learn to recognize Carbon Monoxide poisoning symptoms:
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Headache
  • Coughing
  • Irregular Heartbeat
  • Pale skin with cherry red lips and ear tips
For more information on how to install a carbon monoxide detector see EHow’s instructions.